The Town of Lyman Municipal Office is looking for a Code Enforcement Officer to join our team!
Job Title: Code Enforcement Officer/Land Use Director
Reports To: Board of Selectmen
Position Type: Full-time
GENERAL SUMMARY: The Code Enforcement Officer/Land Use Director is responsible for all areas of municipal permits, inspections, enforcement as well as assisting the Planning and Zoning Board with all areas of planning and appeals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Reviews building, plumbing, and electric plans for soundness before issuing permits; makes recommendations to ensure compliance with codes and collects fees
* Investigates complaints of possible code violations, and initiates appropriate action to ensure compliance
* Inspects buildings under construction to ensure compliance with building, plumbing, and zoning requirements and other related ordinances or codes
* Makes field inspections on all construction and secures various data for the Tax Assessor for record purposes
* Conducts health and sanitation inspections
* Planning Board Liaison, which includes preparing agendas, participating in meetings, and providing research
* Reviews all applications to the Planning Board to ensure compliance
* Shoreland Resource Officer
* Maintains flood insurance maps
* Makes and receives phone calls and e-mails to answer questions and conduct research
* Oversees the organization and maintenance of records, files, and providing public access
* Maintains regular, predictable, and reliable attendance
* Maintains excellent communication and fosters a collaborative working environment with all departments as well as with the public
* Places an emphasis on safety, efficiency, quality, and productivity
* Follows all Town and Department policies
* Performs other related work as required
* Prepares and drafts long range plans and other special projects, as requested
* Serves as Maine Enhanced 911 Addressing Officer
* Knowledge of approved methods and materials used in building construction, plumbing installations, electric systems and oil burner installation
* Knowledge of land use regulations
* Knowledge of subdivision, shoreland, municipal zoning and other related statutes
* Knowledge of title search and filing procedures
* Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite
* Excellent organizational skills to manage a demanding workload
* Excellent customer service skills
* Prepare and maintain accurate records and files
* Type with speed and accuracy and operate standard operating equipment
* Use independent judgment, problem solve and collaborate in order to accomplish tasks
* Analyze and interpret construction plans, site plans, and surveys
* Work under pressure of schedules and deadlines, and during difficult and/or stressful situations with accuracy
* Effectively act as a liaison with various boards and organizations that govern land use and other regulatory proceedings
* Make timely and appropriate decisions in the scope of assigned work
* Provide a high level of customer service to both internal and external customers
* Communicate professionally and effectively, both orally and in writing
* Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, the public, and others
* Attend any required or recommended courses or training
Experience and Education/Training:
* High school graduate or equivalent, required.
* Post-secondary education in engineering, management and trade fields preferred, or experience with municipal planning, or any equivalent combination of education and experience
* State of Maine certified Code Enforcement Officer and Licensed Plumbing Inspector
* Maintain valid Maine Driver’s License
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The work environment and physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with limitations to perform the essential functions.
This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers/scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines, and additionally operates out in the field and may need to walk on uneven terrain and on slippery surfaces.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to handle or feel, talk, and hear. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, kneel, climb, or crouch. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. The employee occasionally works in outside adverse weather conditions.
Please submit your completed application, resume, and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Town of Lyman, Select Board “CEO Search”, 11 South Waterboro Rd. Lyman, ME 04002. Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Page last Updated on June 20, 2022