Director: Priscilla Ouellette
Applications by Appointment
The Town of Lyman provides General Assistance/WELFARE according to Maine Law. (22 M.R.S.A. §4301 ((5)) )
Program Overview: The General Assistance Program is intended to assist citizens who have exhausted all other sources which may help with meeting basic needs. It is possible to be provided with assistance for basic needs such as rent, food, heat, and other essential services. Cash assistance is NEVER granted. Assistance is a payment voucher system.
How to Apply: Applications are available for pick up at the Town Clerks Office. Return the completed application to the Town Clerks Office. The GA Director will telephone you to set up an appointment. You will be required to provide:
- Proof of all sources of income for all household members
- Receipts for how you have spent your income during the last 30 days
- Proof of residence, lease, light bill, or similar proof
- Drivers license and Social Security Cards (for each household member)
- A doctors statement of verification of disability and the expected length of inability to be employed
- Complete Confidentiality
- A decision on eligibility within 24 hours of completing the application
- A Fair Hearing with an appointed Hearing Officer if you disagree with the decision.
- You must provide all requested documentation.
- You may be required to complete assigned ‘WorkFare.’
- A lien may be placed on your property.
Citizens Oil Fund-Lyman Residents
The Town of Lyman has established a donation supported heating fund. Anyone living in Lyman struggling to heat their home should complete a General Assistance application, notify the General Assistance Director to set up an appointment to determine eligibility. Income verification will be required.